MISSION STATEMENT – An Innovation Initiative at Bucknell
The emerging challenges of today’s world do not map neatly onto the discipline specific, routine training that students often receive in institutions of higher education. The Bucknell Innovation Group (BIG) has been created to encourage students to transcend existing institutional frameworks and think flexibly and creatively about problem solving. BIG aims to create an environment that supports those for whom innovation is a primary focus and helps others discover their innovative impulses. Its members are a diverse group of faculty, students, alumni, and community members interested in nurturing and celebrating innovative endeavors that take place on and off campus. In the context of this collectivity, the term “innovation” is construed broadly: the development of novel ideas that provide some type of added value (social, economic, aesthetic, intellectual, etc.) to the classroom, campus and world.
· Enhancing Bucknell’s reputation for offering an inviting environment for students with innovative inclinations
· Helping other Bucknell students discover their latent innovative impulses
· Spurring interdisciplinary teaching and scholarship related to creativity and innovation
· Creating co-curricular and extra-curricular programming related to innovation
· Integrating Bucknell alumni with the teaching and learning related to innovation
· Forging and supporting partnerships with the local communities related to innovation
Who Should Get Involved?
Students, faculty, administration, staff, alumni, friends of Bucknell, and you!
History should be our guide. The United States led the world’s economies in the 20th century because we led the world in innovation. Today, the competition is keener; the challenge is tougher; and that is why innovation is more important than ever.
– President Barack Obama